Monday, December 21, 2009

When LESS is MORE

My late Father was an english policeman for over 30+ years. One piece of advice he once gave me was that you could judge a nation by the behaviour of it's police. Over the years of my life travels I have repeatedly found this to be so. I have never given any cause for the Swedish Police to require my presence, but as part of their endeavour's to assist people to obey the laws (passed in a democratic country) they do occasionally have spot checks at the roadside as I'm driving, or similar procedures.

 

I have always (YES,always) found the Swedish police to be courteous, respectful and helpful. This,I mention, as we move into that other season of the year when driving behaviour can result in police involvement in our lives. People often forget that the Police are required to enforce the laws (they don''t make the laws) and it is the general public that pays them to do just that. So in this winter weather and with the possibility of a 'party influence' being another consideration, it worth for us to remember to treat others as we wish to be treated. My rare inter-action with the Swedish Police has always demonstrated the beauty of that mantra.

So I guess by my Father's advisory measure, Sweden is an excellent country.

 

Which leads me on to yet another aspect of Sweden that is rarely mentioned – the incredible generosity and heart-felt desire to help those less fortunate.

It's been a tough year in the world in respect of finance. It's been pretty tough on almost everyone. This, however, has not prevented almost RECORD LEVELS OF CHARITY DONATIONS from the Swedish Public.

That's another way to assess what the personality of a country is like – what happens when times get tough for everyone.

2 comments:

bathmate said...

It is a good posting. I like it. It's pretty much impressive.
Bathmate

keith said...

Thank you for your participation. I hope this Christmas is a joyful time for you and that the New Year will be the most wonderful year of your life so far :)

Contact

You may contact the writer of this blog at:

sasgg@protonmail.com



Search This Blog